Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Hank's funeral

Not long ago I blogged about going to see Hank because he was supposed to be dying.  I was glad to have made the trip but I didn't believe he was very close. He died the morning of Valentines day. I had to teach Young Women that day and random things kept making me cry. It was a rough day. 
The funeral was Friday in Boise and I had to speak. It was very difficult to find good things to say, but it was a great thing for me to do.  I had the opportunity to remember the good times and the good things Hank did.  He was not completely evil, he was a great drum teacher.  His methods would have him in jail these days, but his students revere him. Three of them played at the grave side ceremony.  It was very touching.
There was a military ceremony that was very touching.   A soldier played Taps, and the flag was folded ceremonially and given to Jane, his last great love.  It was great.  I liked this part better than the funeral.After the funeral, there was dinner at the church for the family.  I saw lots of family that I had not seen for decades, some that I had never even met, ie stepbrother's children etc. I also saw family that I love to bits, like my Danelle.
It's over. Hank is gone. Strangely enough, I think I will miss him.

2 comments: